Everyone is always looking to find time, but there never seems to be enough. Time for friends, family, exercise, work, or just time to relax. Research has shown that not only being “too busy” is unproductive but not all that healthy for us. The benefits of meditation, vacation, time away from the office, napping and time spent in the outdoors can actually sharpen our minds. With downtime the brain becomes more productive, creative and performs at higher levels.
So what are we to do and how do we manage our time to get everything done. They do say, “busy people are happy people”.
- Write a list each morning. Beginning with the most important task and ending with the least important.
- Relook at your list periodically and begin to cross off what you have completed. The sense of accomplishment will make you feel good.
- Build a list that is achievable. Know yourself and be honest about what you can do.
- Be gentle to yourself. Do not feel you have to complete all items, but just a few. There is always tomorrow.
- Learn to say NO. You don’t have to over schedule yourself.
- Tackle problem tasks. Chipping away at problems will make them seem more manageable.
- Manage your social media. Put a limit to how much time you can devote to sites such as Facebook, and others.
- Keep a clean, organized desk. Having piles of paper will be more difficult to manage and focus.
- Become aware of the time you spend on a task and recognize that it is OK to take a break.
- Keep a healthy lifestyle. Exercise and healthy eating will give you more energy to get through your day and you will be happier.
If you can think of other ways to manage your time, share your comments below or on Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin. Thanks for reading.